You agree to abide by our Code of Conduct by participating in the Rewriting the Code community.
Rewriting the Code is a space where women at all stages of their journey in tech can gather, connect, and learn without fear of harassment, prejudice, or discrimination. To that end, we enforce the following rules, and by joining this community, you agree to adhere to these rules or face removal from the community.
We pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and healthy community.
We as members, contributors, and leaders pledge to make participation in our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, caste, color, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
Examples of behavior that contributes to a positive environment for our community include:
- Demonstrating empathy and kindness toward other people.
- Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences.
- Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback.
- Taking responsibility, apologizing to those affected by our mistakes, and learning from the experience.
- Focusing on what is best not just for us as individuals but for the overall community.
Examples of unacceptable behavior include:
- The use of sexualized language or imagery and sexual attention or advances of any kind.
- Trolling, insulting or derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks.
- Public or private harassment. This includes discriminatory or prejudicial comments.
- Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or email address, without explicit permission.
- Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting.
Engagement with RTC Company Partners
If you RSVP to attend an in-person or virtual event, you are committing to attend. No-shows reflect poorly on you and the RTC community as a whole.
RTC expects students and employers to honor commitments made during the recruiting process — specifically related to full-time employment offers or internships. Reneges (backing out of or not honoring an agreement you entered into) breaches our recruiting policies. When these happen, it causes damage to RTC’s relationship with companies and can affect future opportunities for other RTC women. When these instances occur, we will investigate the situation and determine the appropriate actions which could result in the loss of recruiting privileges within RTC and even removal from the community.
We also enforce the following guidelines to ensure members feel comfortable being open and vulnerable in the questions they ask and the relationships they build in the community:
- RTC Membership: This community is for Rewriting the Code members only. RTC is open to any current undergraduate, graduate, or early career individual who identifies as a woman interested in tech. To become a Member of RTC, you must first sign up at https://teamrtc.org/
- Resource Sharing: We work with many companies and volunteers who want to support our community. Any opportunity, event, or resource shared within this group shall NOT be shared outside this community.
- No Sharing of Interview Questions: This is not a forum to discuss interview questions but a space to share experiences and offer advice/support. There is a fine line between asking for general advice and getting access to specific questions, which can lead to cheating.
- Referrals: Do not use this group to ask for referrals. A referral should come from someone you know who can vouch for you. If you are interested in learning about a company, it is ok to ask the community to share their experience & take the convo off-line.
- Be Kind and Courteous: We’re all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Let’s treat everyone with respect. Healthy debates are natural, but kindness is required.
- No Hate Speech or Bullying: Make sure everyone feels safe. Bullying of any kind isn’t allowed, and degrading comments about race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender, disability, or identity will not be tolerated.
- No Promotions or Spam: Sharing helpful information is encouraged, but this group doesn’t allow spam and irrelevant posts or links. All posts should support RTC’s mission of empowering college women in tech.
- Respect Everyone’s Privacy: Being part of this group requires mutual trust. Authentic, expressive discussions make groups great but may also be sensitive and private. What’s shared in the group should stay in the group.
If you are found in violation of the above Code of Conduct or any of the additional community rules, you will receive a warning about your behavior. Additional instances of rule-breaking will be met with your removal from the community. If your behavior is unacceptable or you use our community for illegal activities, you will be immediately removed from the community.
If you find someone violating our community Code of Conduct or guidelines, please either DM a member of the RTC Staff or email email@example.com. Please include a direct link to the violation and/or a screenshot where possible.